The 1% and 250 Million Africans

August 9, 2012

The following research is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Howard Buffett Foundation, the Monsanto Fund and USAID from the American People. Or in other words, the 1%! A US multinational corporation, and American taxpayers that Occupy Wall Street and the Left constantly bash support of agricultural research that helps the poorest of the poor. This is a nice example of generosity of American taxpayers, America’s 1%, and an American multinational corporation helping out 250 million Africans. Way to go America, way to go Bill and Melinda Gates, way to go Monsanto. Thank You. The folks who consider themselves the 99% in America fail to realize that in eyes of the rest of the world, they are the 1%.

The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center reported

“Researchers Demonstrate Control of Devastating Cassava Virus in Africa using an RNA interference technology. …  Cassava brown streak disease is a major problem because it destroys the edible tuberous roots, but visual symptoms on leaves and stems are sometimes difficult to detect. This means unexpected losses for farmers at harvest, with potential devastating impact on families that depend on cassava for food security.  Since farmers preserve cassava cuttings in the fields for the next crop, the disease is passed on to the next growing season.”

“In Sub-Saharan Africa, more than 250 million people derive at least 25 percent of their daily calorie intake from the starchy cassava tuberous roots.  In the East African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Rwanda, Burundi and Malawi, 63 percent of households also sell cassava products to earn income for their families.  It is estimated that in the next 15 years, cassava will constitute the second most important source of income for more than 125 million people in East Africa.”

 

 

http://www.danforthcenter.org/wordpress/?page_id=395&pid=10522

JM

Leave a Reply

Search MHR:

Connect with us:

facebook       twitter